[VIDEO] The first video! Sticky Indonesian Salmon

Ok, so I am happy to accept that the video is a bit too long (my timekeeping will improve dramatically and future videos will be shorter!), I seem to say “perfect[ly]” and “beautiful[ly]” way too much, I need to sound (and look?!) slightly less camp, I called low-salt soy sauce “low fat” soy sauce and yes, I completely forgot to mix the onions and peppers back in the pan with the salmon at the end (although you cannot deny that I covered it up pretty well, editing out much head scratching and swearing).

But… I am excitedly posting my very first video, filmed and edited by my own untrained hands and it actually contains images, sound and a recipe from start to finish!

I started with one of our favourite dishes in this house, sticky salmon in an Indonesian/Vietnamese style sauce. I used to regularly eat a similar dish in one of the multitude of ethnic restaurants in East London and I think further inspiration came from watching Bill Granger do something along similar lines some time ago. Archie virtually inhales this dish when I serve it. Obviously its inherent sweetness helps and the sauce complements the salmon beautifully, er, perfectly, er, wonderfully. The great thing about this dish is it takes no more than 15 minutes to cook (with only five minutes preparation) and you can be as creative as you want in adjusting the flavours. Any further combination of lime, fresh coriander, fresh ginger or lemongrass (none of which I had to hand on Monday) would all work well.

If you cannot get your hands on the Ketjap Manis soy sauce, you can replicate it by using more of the classic soy sauce and adding a couple of heaped tablespoons of soft brown sugar…

Sticky Indonesian Salmon
Serves 4 (2 adults and 2 little ones)
5 minutes to prepare, 15 minutes to cook

400g salmon fillet cut into 2cm cubes (I buy whole salmon fillets from the fishmonger at my local market, cut them up and freeze them. Buying the salmon this way saves at least 50% on supermarket prices, if not more).
One red onion, finely sliced
One red pepper, finely sliced
2-3 cloves garlic
Green beans
250ml thai/jasmine/basmati rice
Soy sauce, ketjap manis sauce and fish sauce

1. Cook the rice. Heat a saucepan and pour in some vegetable oil. Once hot, pour in the rice and coat the rice until it goes slightly translucent. Pour in some pre-boiled water, approximately three times the volume of the rice (750ml). Bring to the boil and leave to simmer.
  2. Gently cook the onions, pepper and garlic in a frying pan. Once they are soft and golden, take them out of the pan and leave them in a bowl.
  3. Put the green beans on to steam.
  4. Once the rice has been cooking for about 11 minutes and is soft, drain it in a sieve. Sit the sieve of rice on the saucepan and then cover it with a kitchen cloth to steam.
  5. While the rice is finishing off, heat the frying pan up until it is virtually smoking. Cook the salmon cubes in a little bit of oil at high heat. The salmon will got brown after about a minute and a half to two minutes.
  6. Pour in approximately (this dish is very forgiving with these quantities) 3 tbsp each of the soy sauce, the ketjap manis and the fish sauce. Let the sauce boil, bubble and caramelise. Coat the salmon in the sauce and cook for a further 30 seconds. If the sauce starts to dry up, you can add a little drop of water.
  7. Mix the onions and peppers back into the salmon (this is the bit I missed in the heat of the moment!).
  8. Plate up the rice. Pour the salmon over the rice.
  9. Finally, finish off the cooked green beans in the pan which was cooking the salmon, giving them a golden sticky coating.

39 Comments

1. Aw that’s absolutely fab and I didn’t notice the errors or the excessive use of adjectives until I read the post underneath. I love that you r family came in at the end. It really gave it a family feel. I’m looking forward to more post. Oh the recipe looks yummy too. As I’m not a fan of salmon would you think this would work with anything else?

2. Your video warmed my soul. What a beautiful meal for a beautiful family. Looking forward to following your blog and cooking your meals for my own lovely brood.

• Thanks Chacasta, and thanks for all your support and input when I was thinking of setting this up. And yes, it would definitely work with chicken and probably any other meaty white fish like cod or halibut…

3. This looks delicious – I know someone here who will love it as a new way of cooking salmon and it looks easy enough for him to do it himself!. Can I do the same with chicken for me?

4. Awesome. And I think you were totally justified in all the perfects and beautifuls – they seem to sum it up pretty… um… perfectly.

Tasty stuff. More please!

• Thanks honey!!

5. Excellent! I will be a regular visitor, with my pencil and pad. Thank you Mr C!

• Yes, definitely very nice with chicken, Jules, and probably with most other meaty white fish like cod and halibut…

6. Oh my god Nick,your an actual celebrity. Loved the opening plug for Baby led weaning on the site and doubly loved the recipe. If i can source out that strange tomato-saucy stuff then i'll be making this at the weekend!

7. Hi Nick!
    I am going to cook that – ingredients are going on the weekend shopping list!

8. test

9. Thanks for posting this- I have sent a link to my boyfriend who is the main cooking enthusiastic in this blw family also. I know he’ll be up for trying your stir fry! Well done you make it look very easy!

10. This is just superb Nick! So much fun yet inspirational at the same time. The idea is a very brave one but you’ve managed it seemingly with ease. You’ve proved that men CAN multi-task! ;)
    Hope you have fun contributing to this blog, I’m looking forward to following it.

11. Well I cooked a version (you know, when you decide to make something then realise you don’t have half the ingredients so decide to just bodge it with what you have) of this tonight & it was yummy :D

Sadly Twink was too tired for food…so I had to eat his portion too…sigh!

12. Oooh, now I know what to make with the salmon I have in the fridge. :D

13. Yum yum – made this tonight with addition of chopped chilli and some honey (only had soya sauce so needed some extra stickiness). My fish-loathing daughter ate heaps!

14. Hey you!

We had this the night before last and as Izzy would say, it was “Nummy!” and I thought it wasn’t half bad either ;-) xx

15. Please can we see Archie eating your creations too, just to show off the beuty of baby led weaning!
    Thanks for this blog, well needed.
    Jenny

16. Fantastic site, we will definitely be following. We have 16 mo twins who have been eating with us at the table since the beginning when they started “solids” at around 8 months.

17. Hi Nick!
    Great blog; a real joy to read! I am living in a remote part of Brazil with my soon to be adopted son (by me that is) and the internet connection is too slow to download the video so I am real glad you have written the recipes up as well.
    I recently finally figured out how my Brazilian girlfriends make their rice so delicious, when I invited them and their kids over for lasagna and salad. A meal is not a meal if there is no rice (and beans) for a Braziian and so one of my friends suggested to cook some rice as well; I observed and learned. It’s quite similar to how you make it except: add a few minced garlic gloves to the oil to saute before adding the rice and mixing it well just like you do. My friend added loads of salt (which I would rather not do) and then just enough water to cover the rice. She let it boil dry (so the rice absorbed the garlic nicely) and only then added more water (about two fingers above rice level) and let it simmer until all water is absorbed. Yummy enough to eat on its own!

18. Brilliant! At 4 months, our monster is too little for BLW (yet!) but her dad and I would definitely love this. Glad to hear you can substitute the salmon, as my husband goes on/off salmon (clearly not a BLW baby himself then!)
    Your son asking for a bean at the end was music to my ears! If The Thing sounds as enthusiastic about vegetables in a few years time as your son did, I know I’ll have done my job right.

19. Just put down my fork and I clearly did it wrong. I used 5 tablespoons normal soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey & 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce: the result was mouth burningly salty & the sauce didn't look sticky like yours. My low-salt BLW 18 month old son very sensibly didn't eat it!

I've ordered some low-salt soy sauce & some ketjap manis from Ocado and I'll try again in a few weeks.

• Hi there, sorry for the delay in replying to this, my comments system was down while I changed webserver… I think the low salt soy sauce makes a big difference and the ketjap manis will definitely help the stickyness and sweetness. Perhaps I should also have mentioned that I use Chinese soy sauce, not Japanese. I don't know if you used Japanese but if you did, that would definitely make it saltier… There is no doubt that the saltiness would have come from the soy sauce so I think you are wise to get a low salt one, hopefully that will mean the recipe works for you next time. Please let me know how you go and thanks for taking the time to comment…

20. My daughter Mia ate at a friends yesterday, She was amused to see that the mum was making this for the whole family – including 15 month old Jakey – from your website! It seems you're quite the celebrity chef in N10!

• How did she hear about the website??!! Had you tipped her off?? Very cute story… ;-)

21. Just had this with my husband and 3-year-old son and it was delicious and very easy; thank you so much. My son is a little fussy despite BLWing from the start (was all going swimmingly till he turned 3 and son no.2 arrived…) but although he left the rice he did eat the green beans, salmon and pepper and proclaimed it 'a yummy dinner' so a definite success. I will be trying more of your recipes!

• Thanks Sophie, I love hearing about success stories when my recipes work!! I kind of think that we are all fussy to an extent (even at 36 years old!) and it is normal for kids to have food "preferences" and "off" periods. I think the key with BLW is I learnt not to worry about those periods and not to label them i.e. just stay baby led and trust Archie to know if he liked something or not and if he wanted something or not. The salmon is one of those recipes which I just know he will eat though, no matter what mood he is in!! Happy New Year to you and your family… Nick

22. who is filming you?

• Hello otilia,The videos are filmed with two static cameras, one next to my sink, one on the sideboard!The first video (the one you were watching) was not very good!!All the best,Nick

23. I buy mine at Tesco so it should be easy enough to find. Failing that, just add some soft brown sugar to the sauce when bringing it to the boil, it has much the same taste…

24. Thanks Jez, my first North American visitor!!

25. Thanks Skip!!

26. Thanks Nixxie, I hope he enjoys making the salmon! As for making it look easy, think of a swan – looking calm above the surface, paddling for dear life underneath ;-)

27. Ah thanks Paulette, that really is very kind of you. Yes, I am having fun, although this weekend has been a slog as the risotto video posed me technical issues way beyond my ken! I hope you enjoy the next recipes too…

28. That post made me smile and extremely proud!!

29. Great Vid Blog!
    I live in the middle east and salmon is blinking expensive out here; Cod and Halibut equally so… next time you’re in one of the restaurants you mentioned could you ask what sort of fish they’d use in SE asia? (don’t worry about language – I have plenty of friends who can translate) We go to the local fish market regularly, and have tried many wierd and wonderful fish but we are struggling for a salmon substitute.!

Keep up the good work

Mike (Fred’s Daddy)

30. Wow Annette, I love getting ideas from other parts of the world. I promise you I will cook rice this way on the blog at some point. How surreal to have somoene in a remote part of Brazil watching the blog. This is my first experience of blogging so althoughI know it’s stating the obvious, it is amazing me how internet really does make the world a very small place!! It’s a shame the videos are not big to load but I am really happy to read that you are enjoying the blog. And please don’t hesitate to share any more local specialities here!!

31. Hi again Nick! I am actually an ex-Londoner and keep in touch via Facebook. One of my uni classmates, Jenny, posted a link to your blog there. Thanks Jenny!
    There is a type of salad here which I love (althouh my son doesn’t – hmmm) which I could translate…

Submit a Comment