[VIDEO] Breakfast oat pancakes w/ caramelised bananas and blueberries
Print This Post
Posted by Nick
on 3.3.2010 in Breakfast
, Sweet treats
We finally filmed a breakfast! I have been meaning to do this for a while – and have had a lot of requests to do so – but getting all the camera gear organised in the morning is not easy. Plus I am NOT. A. MORNING. PERSON!
Breakfast in this house is usually a very simple affair – cereals/ porridge/ toast/ fruits/ fresh juices. But where time permits, I do enjoy cooking in the morning and it is important to vary what we give Archie.
Having introduced Archie to “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” at the weekend, it is entirely appropriate to call these oat pancakes “truly scrumptious”. Yes, they are sweet but it is not as if he is eating golden syrup every day (although he would if he was given half a chance to do so!).
As it’s a breakfast recipe, I don’t want to be getting bogged down with weighing scales so I just make this recipe based on spoonfuls of the ingredients. As with all my dishes, a little bit of variation in the quantities will not harm the finished dish in any way…
Breakfast oat pancakes w/ caramelised bananas
These ingredients made ten small pancakes. We ate six and froze the remaining four. If you are intending to use all ten pancakes immediately, you’d need to cook an extra banana.
Preparation time was about 5 minutes, cooking time 8-10 minutes in total.
5 tbsp plain flour
2 1/2 tbsp ground porridge oats
1 tsp baking powder
A tall glass of milk (approx 250ml)
Blueberries to serve
2 tbsp golden syrup
An inch chunk of butter (approx 40g) plus some extra for cooking with
*If you would prefer to use just one pan, cook the pancakes first, then cook the bananas in the same pan*
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, the baking powder, the oats, the milk and the egg. It will not be a smooth batter as such because of the oats but it should not be lumpy.
- Chop up the bananas.
- In a frying pan, melt the chunk of butter. Once it has melted, add the golden syrup and mix together. Add the bananas and cook them over a moderate heat for 4 minutes, turning them once.
- At the same time that the bananas are cooking, heat a non-stick pan and add a good knob of butter (the pancakes can stick to the pan so don’t be shy with the butter).
- I used a large salad spoon (probably the equivalent of 1 and a half tablespoons) to simply drop some mixture into the frying pan. The mixture naturally spreads into a disk shape.
- You can cook as many pancakes as your pan will fit at the same time. Cook the pancakes for a couple of minutes either side.
- The pancakes stay warm just by stacking them up on a plate while you cook the remaining batter.
- When you are ready to serve, spoon some of the caramelised bananas on to two pancakes per plate. Drizzle some of the caramel over both pancakes and serve with fresh blueberries on the side.
17 Responses to “[VIDEO] Breakfast oat pancakes w/ caramelised bananas and blueberries”
Please leave your comment here. Your details will never ever be published or passed on to any third party. As this site receives a lot of spam, I have to moderate each comment individually. Sometimes it may be up to 24 hours before I have had a chance to do this. Please accept my apologies for this but it is important or else this comments threads would be flooded with inappropriate spam. Thanks, Nick