VIDEO - Matilda's cooking debut! Golden Syrup Pancakes
It has been a little while since I have been able to post a new video. I am now on BBC Three Counties Radio six days per week (Monday – Saturday 12-3) plus I am very busy writing my second book. So time has been a little… stretched!
So when Tate & Lyle approached me to do a video for pancake day (as part of the campaign to get the nation flipping for Pancake Day), it felt like a good moment to get all the camera gear out. And with Matilda being 2 now and loving helping in the kitchen, there was no way she was not going to be involved. Check out her egg breaking technique – why bother when you can just throw the whole thing into the bowl!
I made two fillings to go with these classic French style pancakes – a sweet apple, walnut and Golden Syrup version and a semi-savoury bacon and Golden Syrup version too… both of which were wolfed down by the kids!
For the pancakes
Makes 9 large pancakes
A good drizzle of vegetable oil
- Chuck all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until it makes a nice smooth batter.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on a high heat.
- Throw in a small knob of butter (about 1tsp), let it sizzle and shake it around the pan.
- Pour in a ladle full of the batter and gently swirl it around the pan until has covered the base.
- Cook the pancake for about 30 seconds, until the batter looks cooked on top then turn the pancake over and cook for a further 20 seconds.
- Remove the pancake and set aside.
- Cook the remaining pancakes.
For the apple, walnut and golden syrup filling:
1/2 apple, thinly sliced
A little handful of chopped walnuts
A really good drizzle of golden syrup
A small knob of butter
A scoop of vanilla ice cream
- In a pan on a medium heat, melt the butter and throw in the apples. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the walnuts, cook for a further minute then drizzle over the golden syrup. Cook gently for a further minute.
- Put the filling in the middle of the pancake, fold the pancake edges to make a square parcel and serve with the vanilla ice cream on top and an extra drizzle of golden syrup.
2 rashers unsmoked bacon
A good drizzle of golden syrup
A dash of oil
- In a pan on a medium heat, pour in the oil and cook the bacon until golden and cripsy.
- Squeeze over the golden syrup and continue to cook for about 45 seconds, turning the bacon once.
- Put the bacon in the middle of a pancake, fold the pancake edge to make a square parcel and serve with an extra drizzle of golden syrup.
This is a sponsored post.
To see more pancake recipes and featuring Lyle’s Golden Syrup and for other cooking and baking tips visit the Lyle’s website at www.lylesgoldensyrup.com