VIDEO - Mini Easter Simnel Cakes
***These cakes are so good that I will give a way 6 of them, made by me and Archie, to someone picked at random on Monday who has left a comment at the foot of this page! (I am already giving away 2 x 6 on my Twitter page too!) ***
One of the loveliest things about doing this blog is the new friends it has brought me into contact with – and two of them have a big hand in this video. Firstly I have got to know Abi at The Cake Nest (www.thecakenest.co.uk). She makes truly lovely cakes and it was during a chat with her this week that the idea came up to do Simnel cake on the blog. This recipe is her version of this classic cake. I can confirm it is absolutely delicious – and making muffin sized cakes makes them even more moreish than “big” version. The other “star” of this video is Hayley Jones, a herbalist from Hythe. She made Archie a monkey, complete with a “My Daddy Cooks” apron. Archie is so in love with him that he refuses to cook without him now!
Mini Easter Simnel Cakes
Makes 10-12 large muffins
Preheat oven to gas 4 (180C/350F)
100g Caster Sugar
150g Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated Nutmeg
250g Chopped Dried Mixed Fruit
Finely grated zest of half a lemon
100g marzipan rolled into large pea sized balls
- In a food mixer or a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until it is light and fluffy.
- Add in the two eggs.
- Mix in the flour and spices (I did 2 and 3 the “wrong” way round in the video!).
- Add the fruit.
- Grease your muffin tin and spoon the mixture in.
- Sink a marzipan ball into each cake, making sure it is covered in mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (keep an eye that the cakes do not overcook on top). Take the muffins out of the tin as soon as they come out of the oven. Leave them to cool and see how long it takes before they all get eaten!