VIDEO - Easy Plum Crumble Puff Tarts
Back to the recipe. It’s one of those which embodies what I try to do on this blog. There are so many fun things for Archie to do in the preparation – and the result is not only delicious but also all quite literally foolproof. The plum crumble puffs use store bought puff pastry. I find the quality more than adequate – not to mention that making your own puff pastry can be a laborious process. I chose to use plums when I walked past a fruit and veg stall at Kentish Town tube station on Tuesday. They were really cheap (£1 for 7) and were extremely soft and ripe. It goes without saying that you can use almost any other fruit you fancy if you can’t find nice plums. The plums caramelise slightly on the puff pastry and the crumble mix is light and crispy. To say these puffs are popular with Archie is an understatement! He loves making them with me – and of course loves eating them even more! Makes 6 plum crumble puff tarts Preparation time 10-15 minutes Cooking time 20-25 minutes 1 roll of store bought puff pastry (I try to buy an all butter version) 5 ripe plums, cut in half, stone removed then sliced finely 50g butter Approximately 70g flour (around 3 tbsp) – plus extra for the baking tray Approximately 30g caster sugar (around 2 tbsp) – plus extra for dusting A good pinch of ground cinnamon A handful of rolled oats
- In a bowl, rub together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and oats into a crumbly mix. No need to be too precise here at all either with the quantities or the technique.
- Dust a baking tray with flour, cut the puff pastry into six squares and space them out well on the tray. Prick each square fairly liberally with a fork.
- Cover the pastry squares evenly with the sliced plums, leaving a border of around 1cm.
- Sprinkle a little caster sugar over the plums.
- Fold the borders of each pastry square over a little, to create an edge to the tarts.
- Generously cover the tarts with the crumble mix and put them into the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the pastry is well puffed and the crumble mix is golden.
- You can eat the plum crumble puff tarts either immediately warm or they will keep for a day in an airtight container.